All Services Are Negotiable

Saturday, July 15, 2006

My General Strategy

My goal is to illustrate each of my points with a story of service negotiation victory in the coming weeks, but I'll lay out my mode of operation here as a preview.

Please bear in mind I'm not saying that each of these tidbits are required for achieving a discount or freebie; in fact, I'm sure that some people have been very successful without some of them. I am saying that each of these will put you one step closer to achieving the desired results with little or no risk to you.

As I see it, the important things to remember are:

  • Be kind and courteous: The person with whom you are negotiating may hate his job, and dealing with a jerk will worsen his already bad day.

  • Be persistent: These are businesses, and they don't like giving stuff away. You may have to try two or three or eight times before you see some results.

  • Be bold: Don't be afraid to presume that the person on the other end of the conversation is willing to negotiate, despite whatever he/she may say at first.

  • Be aware: If there are competitors in the market for your business, do your homework and find out exactly how far they're willing to go to get it.

I will update this strategy as we go. With the input of others, I expect to refine this list to something that yields 100% satisfaction.

2 Comments:

  • Please tell me that you leveraged the "I've been here for five years and when I started, "nighttime" started at 7" angle, and you didn't straight get her to change time for you. That would be a superhuman act if you did that. Like, Superman PUSHING the earth back 2 hours.

    By Blogger twalkerr, at 12:00 AM  

  • She did change time. There was a harp sound and everything.

    By Blogger Dr. Martin van Nostrand, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home